Saturday, May 28, 2011

China Adoption Testimony

So Paul and I have been asked to give our testimony about Grace's adoption at "Story Sunday" at our church. Here is what I am planning to share:

"Motherhood and adoption are two things that I've felt called to for as long as I can remember. I believe the Bible when it says that children are a blessing and took very personally the command to care for orphans in their distress. Paul and I began our journey on the the road that has lead us to this adoption early in our marriage by being foster parents in Tennessee, which was another huge leap of faith that was not easy but the rewards have been immense. God blessed our family first with our son Sam, and then Joe. It was after Joe was born that the desire to adopt a little one internationally began in my heart. I really thought that we'd have one more child the old fashioned way and then adopt one more and that would complete our family. I spent hours pouring over pictures online of babies in orphanages over seas. But, God had other plans, as he often does, and we were blessed with precious twin boys, Will and Ben. After our twins were born Paul felt strongly that we were to help other families be able to adopt, but that our hands were truly full, and our family was complete. With four blessing ages four and under I knew my hands were full, and mother hood did not (and doesn't) always come easily to me, I often falter and am brought to my knees by my own lack of ability and brokenness, but I love my kids and despite all this the desire to adopt another child was still very strong. I often wondered why God had given me the desire and seemed to be calling me to adopt, but not Paul. While Paul (and most of my close friends) knew that I wanted to adopt - and I especially wanted to adopt a little girl from China, I never nagged or made it an issue. After all, he is the leader of our family, if it was meant to be, God would have to move him, and he would have to choose to obey. I frequently reminded God that I was willing, and my frequent prayer was for God to either change my heart or Paul's. I really thought it would be mine.

Well last May (after over seven years of praying), my husband blew me away by telling me he wanted to adopt a little girl and he felt now was the time. After my initial shock wore off (which only took about a day) :), we began the process of adopting our 5th child. We did research foster parenting again, but it was soon made obvious to us that the China Waiting Child Program was the best choice for our family. The process to adopt was not easy, but within 9 months God had provided in every way for us to travel to China and be united with our daughter. We were humbled and grateful for how He provided and how were were carried by our friends and family - including our small group at FBC. Our trip to China was life changing, and something I am so thankful I was able to experience.

As you can imagine adoption requires a substantial investment of time, funds, faith, patience, and most of all trusting God with lots of unknowns. However the rewards are immeasurable. The absolute truth is that God knows what you need, and what I need. His plans for you are good, even if they aren't easy or what is deemed "normal" by the world. God knew that we needed Grace even more than she needed us. She was the perfect match for our family. He knew that she would bring joy to our family that we could never have experienced without her. There are pieces of my husband and my sons that I never would have known existed if it wasn't for Grace. We all love her so much. God can take broken and imperfect people and bless them if they only trust Him and obey His leading. But he can't fully bless you if you don't trust Him enough to obey Him and answer when he calls. I know that there have been other times I haven't obeyed His callings, and I hate to think of the joy I've missed out on.

There are by some estimates 140 million orphans in the world today. If every Christian family adopted, that need would be virtually eliminated. But I'm not going to ask anyone to adopt, because I definitely don't think everyone is called to do so. And, I'd never want to guilt anyone into adopting a child if they didn't really want him or her with all their heart, the way we wanted (want) Grace. However, if you do feel called to adopt, then I would encourage you to trust God's plan and not allow the fears, and the costs to prohibit you from experiencing His blessing. Most of you will not be called to do what we've done, but as Christians - the Body of Christ - we are each called to something. We can't fully function as a body unless each of us obeys. I would encourage all of you, and I need to remind myself daily (sometimes minutely), that we are to trust God. That His plans for us are good. While sometimes what He asks of us isn't easy it is better to be in obedience to Him, experiencing His blessing, than to allow fear and the desire for ease to rule our lives and be outside of His will, not experiencing His blessings, and hindering the work of His body.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Hannah. I am so encouraged by it. I didn't realize that Paul just came up to you and told you he was ready. That's really cool.
    Please post some recent pics of Grace when you get a chance. I don't know when we'll be getting up there to meet her.
    Love and miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete