Monday, May 9, 2011

Unfair

I finished reading Xinran's Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother the day before Mother's Day. I told Paul that I wasn't sure how to feel after reading it. It was written as a kind of offering or gift to girls adopted from China, to speak for their birth mothers and why they had to give them up. It is several true stories of women who had their girl babies taken from them or they had to abandon them. But, it's so horribly sad, that I think I will wait until Grace is an adult before handing it to her. After a few days reflection I think that it's left me with the impression that sin is so horribly unfair and senseless. It is unfair that any baby should be abandoned, and there are by some counts 17 million orphans alive today. It's unfair that babies born to families that love them but are too poor to raise them or to pay for surgeries that would correct their needs. It's unfair that children starve to death, and are abused. It's senseless that girl babies are killed a few minutes after birth, or ripped from their devastated mothers' arms - simply for being girls. It's unfair that children must be raised in orphanages, face major surgeries alone in the hospital, and the *fortunate* ones must be seperated from all that is familiar to them in order to begin a new and better life. I don't even want to ponder what happens to the unfortunate ones. The only hope I have after reading this book is that I serve a God who knows what it really means to be treated unfairly. To be abused, abandoned, and killed. My hope is that in the end I KNOW Christ will triumph over death and sin and all will be set right with the world. That every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Praying constantly that I can live up to the awesome priveledge and responsiblity of being a forever mom.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Hannah. While on one hand, adoption IS beautiful......on the other, it's heart-wrenching that there ARE orphans (and the circumstances that lead to children becoming orphans). THIS is what I cling to----> "My hope is that in the end I KNOW Christ will triumph over death and sin and all will be set right with the world. That every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. "

    ReplyDelete